気が 合う means to get along with someone. Your 気 (spirit) does the action of 合う (to match). When your 気 matches someone else’s 気, the two of you get along. You are kindred spirits.
Takeo’s girlfriend Rinko visits to study with him, but Takeo’s parents take turns interrupting them to get to know her better. Takeo’s father, Yutaka, asks if she watches golf.
- 「あ ゴルフですか。あんまり
- “Ah, golf? I don’t watch a lot of it.”
- “It’s fun! Do you know about Ishikawa-kun?”
家でお 父さんが 観てます」
- “I do. My father watches it at home.”
父さん ゴルフする 人なの。 気が 合うね」
- “So your dad’s a golf guy. We’re kindred spirits, eh?”
Ami is used to getting the top grade on mock exams, but when another name starts tying her scores, she begins to get flustered. Her friend Minako suggests they investigate the person behind the name, but Rei isn’t so sure.
亜美ちゃん 気が 散って 成績が 落ちちゃうわ！」
- “The way things are, Ami-chan’ll be distracted, and her grades will drop!”
始めたってのがバレた 時の 方が 亜美ちゃんの 気が 散ると 思うけど」
- “I think Ami-chan will be more distracted when she finds out we’ve started something like this.”
Following the death of their parents, Kanami’s big brother Kazutaka became secluded and abusive. Kanami begins to spend time with Makoto, a “rental big brother” whose advice gives her hope in restoring her brother’s former kindness. Kazutaka rebukes her attempts, suggesting that Makoto’s filling her with nonsense ideas.
- “He gets on my nerves.”
適当な 甘い 言葉で 金を 取り 続けるような 奴」
- “He’s the kind of guy who keeps taking (rental) money while spouting alluring words.”
At the stroke of midnight, Chibiusa wakes to a mysterious glow from her new wristwatch. She gets out of bed in a daze, and begins to leave the room. Her cat, Diana, bites her on the arm, returning Chibiusa from her trance.
腕時計 見てたら 気が 遠くなったのよ〰〰」
- “When I looked at this wristwatch, I became lightheaded〰”